Monday, February 28, 2011

The Kentucky Derby

This weekend I traveled down to Columbia, Kentucky with the boys to compete in a couple collegiate bike races. As a team representing Indiana University we didn’t do too bad picking up a couple points in all events. It’s hard to compare to derby horses of Marian and Lindsay Wilson but I would say that we didn’t do too bad.
As for my boys I think we learned a lot this weekend. We found out that racing doesn’t always turn out the way we expected no matter how good we are feeling on the bike because of mechanical issues or other competitors being idiots. Kevin picked up some respectable results placing 2nd in the road race and the win in the crit for the D’s category. Thomas was the unlucky one of the weekend falling victim to a flat within the last mile of the road race and being taken out by a fellow IU racer 500 meters from the line. He was disappointed but he knows that he couldn’t have done anything different and sometimes that’s the way things play out. Dougie fresh ripped out a 19th place finish in the road race and got pulled while leading the 2nd group behind the break so for his first weekend racing some very solid results! Samwise pulled out a 7th in both the road race and crit in the C’s category and was near the front the entire time so he was racing smart and looked smooth on his bike which always is good. I raced A’s for the first time and let me tell ya those boys are there for a reason. Equipped with a handful of pro’s Marian set the tone early and the finishing climb was brutal blowing up the field. I think only 23 guys finished out of 45? The last few places were gutting it out too…I dropped out after the 2nd lap once I lost sight of the main pack and I’ve been kicking myself ever since. I should have just gutted it out and I probably would have finished around 21st…should have, would have, could have but I didn’t so I’ve got nothing to bitch about I gave up. This next weekend at Ohio State this won’t be the case.  The crit was pretty much a disaster from the get go for IU. The second lap saw a Purdouche rider gap everyone as he apparently forgot what brakes were used for and went flying off the course. Once that gap opened up it was goodnight for all behind it due to the Marian train drilling it up front. Within 5 minutes the field dwindled from approximately 40 to about 30. Clayton raced well and hung on for 16/17th or somewhere in there. 
Scott Cantanzaro had a nice 12th place finish in the road race while Ren-Jay picked up 18th and the overall points winner for the weekend probably went to Kristen Metherd. Both time trial teams represented well too!
So heading into this next weekend I need to focus on better positioning, especially in the crit! Hopefully my buddy Nate can make it to the races with his girlfriend Emily and grab some dinner after the road race. It’s been a while since we’ve got to hang out so having an in-town Buckeye (Go Blue!) should be good in terms of finding a decent restaurant! Back to cinders for now for the main focus of this whole biking adventure. Hopefully a good solid week at the track and then packing the car again! 4 more days and a midterm until some more fun with IUCC!

No comments:

Post a Comment