Saturday, February 19, 2011

Crazy week

        Sorry it's been a while since the last post but it's been a pretty crazy week. First off I want to express my deepest sympathies to the Kent Family as they lost a beloved grandma/mother this week. Last night I drove down to Bedford to show a little support for the family and what an incredible job they did setting up the funeral home. Old pictures, beautiful flower arrangements throughout the room, and most notably a strong family. I don't know how someone can lose someone so close and hold it together the way they did. I found myself tearing up like I always do at funeral sanctions and of course they were quick to point it out and lighten the mood. I honestly think I have a phobia toward things of this nature because I honestly can't attend something like this and not show emotion. Even if I don't really know the person but more so attend to show support for family that I am closer with...Again my deepest sympathies are extended to the family.
        Classes are going pretty well too which is always a plus. For once I finally have a semester where I don't really mind going to class all the time because its about stuff that I enjoy rather than a general requirement class with no relevance to me whatsoever. Graduate school applications are circulating within each respected school that I applied to so hopefully I will be able to visit for an interview sometime within the next few weeks. Keep your fingers crossed!
        The track finally opened up this week as well and I'll be the first to admit that the men's rookies didn't do half as bad as I was expecting. Of course the first 2 days are somewhat slow getting to know the basics but the last two days have been run more similar to a regular track practice. Rookie miss'n'out was conducted as well and I'm pleased to say that only 2 crashes happened and the guys are alright. One crash held a particular place in my heart though and I found myself drawn to this kid. I have no idea what team he rides for but he's a great kid with an even better attitude. His name will be left out but he is one of the few kids that actually takes the time during free practice to come and ask for help or advice. I admire that! I've seen a lot of guys this week take my advice I've given them because they are clearly doing something wrong (hints why your white t-shirt is covered in cinders) and just put it behind them like I've never said anything to them. Is it frustrating; a little but what can you do if they like crashing than so be it. Back to my buddy. He takes a dig up to me the other day while I'm cruising around the track at a half-way decent speed to ask if I'd stop and help him for a second. We signal out of the pack and he asks if I would mind helping him work on his skid/getting off the bike because he's worried about his team making the race and wants to get his exchange as close to flawless as possible. Again, he wasn't afraid to swallow his pride and ask questions. Within 5 minutes we had him smoking around the track bringing in some hot skids that were ten-fold better than before and he was grateful for just a few words of wisdom and encouragement. Then came miss'n'out and sure enough the wind took its toll on no other than my new friend. Overlapped a wheel (I think?) and went down relatively hard and smashed his head into another back wheel of an opposing rider. I immediately thought, "Oh man, that's my buddy..." He ended up being alright other than the famous cinder tattoo that will probably stay with him the rest of his life. I went up to him while he was sitting at the EMS table to see how he was doing in between heats and exchanged some general information about class standing, age, where he's from, etc and how to brush those cinders out of his arm. Glad he's alright and I'll be looking for him come Qualifications Day and be rooting for him and the team to make the race this year.
    
                                                      Just another day at "The Oasis"

No comments:

Post a Comment