Saturday, March 19, 2011

Come and Gone...

Spring Break has officially come and gone. It went so fast compared to year's past. Staying out at the cabin one last time was a bittersweet and relaxing place to crash while making memories that will last forever. Never a dull moment with this team called The Cutters.

Meeting at the usual team breakfast on Monday morning settling up final ride situations and then left for the cabin. The weather wasn't the nicest for the first two days but after that it turned out to be great, funny enough resembling that close to Florida. Worked on our tans a bit.

A few women's teams blessed our cabin on a couple nights for dinner and campfires: Teter, Theta, Pi Phi, and DG all made the trek out to the cabin and it seemed unanimous that our directions sucked. They all made it though didn't they?

Riding went well this week. In comparison to year's past I felt like we did a lot more speed work and I must say I was impressed with everyone's efforts throughout the week. I think we've nailed down the final four for quals and with a clean run I think we can surprise some people with the firepower we've got this year.

Cleaning up this morning after breakfast was a weird feeling. Upon arriving at the cabin early in the week Jim and I were upstairs and Jim commented, "Last spring break Zack, have to make the most of it!" When locking up the cabin one last time and driving out the steep gravel drive all I can do is smile and remember all those memories that I made out there in the woods surrounding Lake Monroe. From skinny-dipping with the DG's my rookie year to those terrible pacelines on 446 to the raging campfires. Sitting around those fires long into the night talking about all sorts of things are what I'll miss the most when my tenure with this team is finished. I feel like I've made a impression on the team though over the past few years and my biggest is yet to come here in the coming weeks.

As a sit here reflecting I hear the dryer buzz and remember that I am cleaning on the towels from the cabin so I'll get one last visit this afternoon when I take the linens back out and probably sit on the back porch and watch the sun go down one last time.

Big thanks to the Elliott family for allowing our team to use your house again; it's been an incredible 3 years out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment