Saturday, August 20, 2011

US Pro Criterium Championships

Ever since word got around that Eric would be racing for Bissell this summer there was controversy. Now 6 months later the kid is stirring the pot up in the higher ranks as well! It may sound stupid and you can think what you want but ever since Eric and I went to race in the Gateway Cup races last year in St. Louis I knew he had what it took to compete at the next level. Fresh off his 2010 US Pro Criterium Championship "Hollywood" Hollaway got his ass handed to him by Eric in heads up sprints two days in a row and I thought I was going to have a heart attack because the god damn announcer wouldn't give Eric the credit he deserved in those sprints. Now I don't think there will be any arguments after today's impressive showing as Eric brought home the coveted Stars and Stripes jersey.

Eric edging out Brad Huff at the line to take the win. Me cheering in the background like a mad man! I knew it before the announcers! Photo taken by Jonathan Devich


When I woke up this morning I had a weird feeling. I literally woke up 1 minute before my alarm went off, went upstairs to get some coffee and it was gone, checked the weather and looked like rain; nothing was going right. Said goodbye to my sister as she headed off to college and jumped in the car for the lonely 2.5 hour drive to Grand Rapids to watch the race. Once I got there I ran into Eric's parents at a coffee shop and while we were enjoying our less than spectacular java drinks I told his mom, "I've got a good feeling about today." She quickly responded, "I like good feelings!"

The race started and Kelley Benefit Strategies and Bissell seemed to be battling the whole time sending guys up the road with no real luck. About half way through the race the clouds started to roll in and I immediately felt the temperature drop about 10 degrees. The official cut the race by 20 laps or so and informed the riders there would only be 10 laps to go but needless to say once it hit 3 to go Mother Nature had other plans as wind gusts ripped over barriers and the stage. They postponed the race and when it finally restarted there was to be 30 laps to the finish. Now at this point everyone should be thinking, "I wonder if I should bet the farm on this Eric Young fella because from past experience he doesn't get beat much after a rainy restart?"

If you placed the wager you were right! Of course that's a very vague recap from a spectator point of view but that was a race that I will never forget as Eric charged toward the line dead even with Huff with the most intense look of desire I've ever seen. Mind you I've been riding with Eric a while so I've seen him at both his worst and his best. When he nudged in front of Huff right before the line I started jumping, screaming, crying, bleeding (I just got my wisdom teeth pulled and my sockets where the teeth used to be exploded and bled  everywhere!), hugging complete strangers, texting friends/teammates and I'm sure many other noteworthy things in celebration. It seemed as though someone just handed me a million dollars.

So here's to you Eric to a job well done today and this summer thus far. I wish you nothing but the best and I know deep down this is just the beginning. Glad to say you're part of the Cutters family and I know you ride with passion for all of us and many others. Keep it rollin Hazelbear


PS: I bet Ryan Kiel sleeps like a baby tonight

3 comments:

  1. Great post Hank! I am so glad you were there for all of US!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same feelings here as I screamed at the TV! Great post Zach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fucking awesome! thanks for that buddy and i'm so happy you were there!

    ReplyDelete